Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Koh Phangan a Go Go

March 17 - 21, 2007

Koh Phangan is what I would imagine to be the Thai equivilant to New Orleans, with the monthly Full Moon parties being its Mardi Gras. Lots of people, music, drinks, and all around craziness. But, even on this small island every beach has its own flavour. Haad Rin is the party beach... and pretty much every other beach is just for relaxing.
I spent 3 nights in Haad Rin watching fire dancers on the beach and sipping vodka and red bull from a bucket, and two nights on Ban Tai, a much MUCH quieter beach, to attend the 'Black Moon' party and spend my days swinging away on a hammock.
Even though I'd been craving days of doing nothing, I have to admit that I missed the routine of Muay Thai training. To fill the void I looked up a local gym that trained in Muay Thai and put what I learned in Phuket (which apparently wasn't much) into practice.
Next stop on my '2007 South East Asian Invation' is Bangkok where I'll meet up with my long lost (since new years) friend, DJ Duke and even longer lost (since Queen's) friend, Liz Kalnin!

Haad Rin Beach
Party in a bucket

Fire dancers
Arm wrestling on the beach:
All that Muay Thai training made me confident I could win...
I was wrong

Ban Tai Beach
Dawn through a mosquito net
Black Moon Party
The most beautiful lady-boy painted little flowers on my toe nails!

The only day it rained was the day I signed up for a snorkle tour.. ofcourse






No comments: